Monday, October 6, 2008

I can´t believe it is already October...



PHOTOS!!!! I have finally gotten around to posting some for you all to see. I hope you all enjoy! Left is a photo of our Bocas crew. From top left is Kaitlyn, Brian, Joe (the volunteer we visited), Old David, Ray, from bottom left Jesse, Ben and me.

This last month has flown by to say the least. We are entering the last few weeks of training and you can feel the nervous excitment in the group. The end of September was full of lots of travel, fun, and of course hard work. We spent two weeks away from our training site, Santa Clara for both cultural and tech training. For culture week everyone from my group who will be living in the Bocas Del Toro province traveled to say with volunteer who lived in the area. We stayed with indigenous host families and learned a ton about the history, culture, people and agencies in the area. Some highlights of the culture week:

  • visiting an organic cacao cooperative

  • hiking four hours uphill in the mud to see how the aquduct system worked and then taking in the view of all of the islands of Bocas from the top of a mountain...while drinking fresh pipa (a variety of coconut) juice.

  • trying to peel green bananas in the dark with a machete

  • visiting a cacao farm, eating fresh cacao (tastes like a green apple) and planting banana trees.

This is a picture of the volunteer´s porch. It was a sweet house and I can only hope I am as lucky.




Me learning how to make a Chacra bag from the local womens artisans group. The bag is a traditional woven bag made to carry firewood, bananas or whatever else needed to be hauled around. Men and women also carry them as a purse.

The photos above are a few photos from the town we stayed in, Valle Risco. all the house we pretty similar. Wood with a palm or penca roof. Most of the houses were on stilts and the families hung out underneath in hamocks or on the concrete floors. The town itself was in a beautiful valley and every morning, there was mist in the trees. Our host families there were really hospitable and despite all of us getting sick in one way or another, we had a positive experience.

Technical week was also great. We stayed in a coffee producing area that was high up in the mountains. It was actually cold and we got to sleep with big comforters everynight and wear jackets! Quite a change from what we live in everyday so that was nice. It felt like fall weather on the central coast. We gave several presentations in spanish on marketing, accounting and also taught a lesson in the elementary school. Needless to say we all came home pretty tired but felt accomplished.

We are all working hard at our language skills and this coming week they will be put to the test when we visit our sites for the first time. Needless to say I am pumped to visit my community when I will be living and working for the next two years. I am tired of feeling a homeless so it will be awesome to finally picture myself settled. I will post some photos of that when I get a chance.

Thanks again for all the emails and comments. I love reading them so please keep them coming!






3 comments:

kieran said...

OMG! That is so incredibly cool. I don't know if you ever saw the pictures from my trip to Bocas. Gabriel who owns the hotel we stayed in is a very nice and generous guy, and the restaurant there is incredibly good, as I know I've mentioned before. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures from Panama, and I already want to visit again.

Becky* said...

Hi Piper!
It is so beautiful in Panama. The picture of you making the bag with the woman's group is truly amazing. Am going to write you an email of epic proportions. We miss you a ton! so proud of you!

Unknown said...

Awesome Photos! Its great to have a visual of where you have been! Phil and I miss you a bunch and think of you a lot. I'll try calling this week.

Love,
Liz